Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Coke and mentos challenge!

Kia ora and welcome back to my blog! Today I am going to share with you about the coke and mentos explotion we did and how the coke and the mentos explode.

First thing we did, was put four mentos in a 2.25 litre bottle of coke and watched it explode. It didn't go to high, but it did explode. Here is the video

This is how the coke exploded when we put the mentos in. When the mentos is put in the coke, all the carbon dioxide is attracted to the mentos which causes the soda to be squezzed in, and needs a way to get out. That is why the coke explodes, because it gets trapped and that is the only way out of the bottle. Here is an animation I made to help you understand.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elsha
    What a fun science experiment to do at home. Have you looked at the Genesis Energy Schoolgen programme on line they have a lot of fun experiments to do like this? DO you think you would have had a different result depending on what type of coke you used such as sugar free etc?
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katrina! At first, we did try with sugar free coke, but it only rise a little bit with five mentos. So that is why we chose to do diet coke. Thanks for commenting!
    Elsha

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post